From Staff Reports
A nearly five-mile section of FM 451 in Harrison County will be widened, two Marshall intersections will be upgraded and safety features will be added on other area roads in Harrison and Marion Counties beginning this year, the Texas Department of Transportation announced Thursday.
FM 451 WIDENING
TxDOT will be widening a 4.7-mile section of FM 451 in Harrison County from FM 450 from 0.6 miles east of FM 31 in Elysian Fields to FM 9.
“The current highway is 20 feet wide and we will be widening it to 24 feet,” said Ray Brady, area engineer for TxDOT in Marshall.
Plans for the $4.8 million project were approved in march. The bid was awarded to H.V. Caver, Inc. of Atlanta. Work should begin in June and take about seven months to finish, TxDOT said.
TxDOT also announced plans Thursday to upgrade traffic control systems at three intersections in Harrison County, including two in Marshall.
The project includes upgrading signal lights on Grand Avenue at both Grove Street (FM 1997) and Bolivar Street in Marshall.
“The other project will be in Longview at Loop 281 and I-20 frontage roads where we will be upgrading the signal lights and installing flashing yellow arrow lights and adding safety lighting,” Rebecca Wells, district traffic engineer for TxDOT in Atlanta, said.
Plans for the $381,550 project were approved in March. The bid was awarded to Texas Traffic Control Systems, Inc. of Dike, with work beginning in June and taking four months to finish.
ADDED SAFETY FEATURES
Two sections of U.S. 59 in Harrison and Marion Counties and FM 3001 in Marion County are set to receive enhanced safety features like culverts and drainage structures, the Texas Department of Transportation said Thursday.
The sections to be upgraded include U.S. 59 in Harrison County from the Marion County line to FM 1997, approximately 3.1 miles in length; U.S. 59 in Marion County from FM 2208 to the Harrison County line, approximately 1.6 in length; and FM 3001 in Marion County from FM 726 to the Harrison County line, approximately 6.6 miles in length.
It’s part of a 12-highway, $2.5 million plan throughout Northeast Texas that was approved this month. Longview Bridge and Road of Longview was awarded the construction bid.
TxDOT said work should begin in June of this year and take about 15 months to complete.
“We are looking at installing additional safety features on culverts and drainage structures along several sections of highways in Bowie, Camp, Harrison, Marion, Panola, Titus and Upshur Counties,” said Tommy Bruce, area engineer for TxDOT in Mount Pleasant.
Other highways scheduled to receive the improvements are:
- FM 1186 in Panola County from FM 1186 from 1.1 miles south of FM 1794 to 0.7 miles north of U.S. 79, approximately 1.8 miles in length
- U.S. 259 in Bowie County from County Road 4306 to the Morris County line, approximately six miles in length
- FM 557 in Camp County from FM 2254 to the Upshur County line, approximately 7.9 miles in length
- U.S. 67 in Titus County from the Franklin County line to the Morris County line, approximately 18.7 miles in length
- FM 2348 in Titus County from Texas 49 to Texas 11, approximately 8.5 miles in length
- FM 1735 in Titus County from Texas 49 to Texas 11, approximately 8.2 miles in length
- FM 1734 in Titus County from U.S. 67 West to U.S. 67 East, approximately 8.9 miles in length
- FM 556 in Upshur County from the Camp County line to FM 2088, approximately 3.5 miles in length
- FM 852 in Upshur County from FM 1002 to FM 556, approximately 6.6 miles in length