Friday, January 19, 2018

Advertise with us

Brawl mars 100th meeting

By Jon Dustin Brooks
Aug. 27, 2010 at 7:23 p.m.

Marshall's Bryce French is tackled from behind by a Longview defensive lineman during the game Friday at Maverick Stadium. Marshall lost the game, 31-9, in the 100th meeting of the two teams.

Longview took control early in the second half, setting the tone with a punishing ground game, to pull away to a 31-9 season-opening win against Marshall in the 100th meeting between the storied rivals.

A large, sidelines-clearing fight between both teams stole the show at the 8-minute mark of the third period, however.

Players from each team emptied onto the field following a Marshall punt that Longview's Jovorious Brown fielded and returned for no gain.

Four players - two from each team - were ejected in the aftermath, including Marshall's Bryce French and Jensen Jackson and Longview's Cameron Jones and LaKeithan Barkins. Personal fouls were also called on every player and Longview's D'Marjai Devine was later ejected for obtaining a personal foul penalty, marking his second of the game.

"When you have 16-, 17-year-old kids out there, we have to remember that sometimes," said Marshall head coach Thedrick Harris. "Sometimes tempers will flare and sometimes thing will happen. It's just unfortunate and it cost us a ball game."

Marshall never seemed to recover from losing French, its starting quarterback, struggling to move the ball after that point.

Longview piled up three rushing touchdowns after, pulling away in the third.

"These kids are going to get after it and they're going to talk to one another," said Longview head coach John King. "I just hope nothing else ever comes of it. It got out of hand. It's a shame that it happened."

Longview's LaDarrin Robertson passed for 141 yards and a score and added 83 yards and a score on the ground, while J'haston Faggans led all players with 124 rushing yards and a score.

Faggans scored on a 3-yard run up the middle to cap a 12-play, 79-yard drive that the Lobos reeled off directly after the fight occurred.

Jaquan Kelly paced Marshall with 93 rushing yards on six carries, including the Mavs' only touchdown.


A pair of big plays provided the offensive fireworks for each team in a defensively dominated first half.

Marshall's Kelly ripped off a 77-yard score on a third-and-3 on his team's opening drive, providing a 6-3 lead that would keep the Mavericks on top until just before halftime.

After limiting Robertson to only 12 yards and two completions through his first eight attempts, the senior finally broke through late in the second quarter.

On a third-and-5, he found D.T. Jackson for a 72-yard scoring strike when Jackson caught a short pass, broke two open-field tackles, and then crossed across the field to put his team ahead 10-9 with 1:19 left before the break.

The Lobos would lead from there forward.

Longview's Anthony Wiley intercepted Marshall's Trey Rogers on the ensuing possession, setting up the Lobos at Marshall's 19, but a sack by the Mavs' Alandric Tutt and Deonte McKinney pushed Longview out of field goal range.

Longview's Jaquale Darden also had an interception of a French pass earlier in the half, as they limited Marshall to only 12 passing yards during the first two quarters.

The Mavericks' Quebec Polk forced and recovered a fumble from Robertson in the first quarter.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia