Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Advertise with us

Murder suspect's bond set for $5M

By Robin Y. Richardson
Dec. 2, 2013 at 10 p.m.

Marshall Police continued their investigation into the Sunday stabbing death of Kari Rene Hunt Dunn, who was killed at the Baymont Inn after a dispute with her husband, Brad Allen Dunn.

Dunn is being held on $5 million bond in the Cass County Jail at last report. Officials there said they have notified the Harrison County Sheriff's Department that Dunn can be picked up.

"Her body was sent to Tyler (Southeast Texas Forensic Center) for an autopsy," Marshall Police Department Detective Sonya Johnson said Monday.

"The investigation is ongoing; therefore, it has not been determined what the dispute was about," she said.

Jay Webb, administrative deputy with the sheriff's office, confirmed that the 31-year-old victim was stabbed.

"I don't know what the situation was. I'm speculating it was from a pending divorce (matter)," he said of why the couple was disputing.

In the latter part of November, Dunn wrote on his Facebook page that his wife wanted to leave him after 10 years. He wrote about how heartbroken he was, and that he wanted to fight for his marriage.

"I asked to go to counseling and (she) said no," he wrote. "I am so stressed.

"They just left with her stuff and kids. This is so hard. Maybe venting on here will help me not freak out in my house," he added, sharing that he hated his life at the time.

Friends and family of the victim's parents Cindy Kopecky and Al Kopecky, of Marshall, and D.J. Hunt and Hank Hunt, of Winona, posted messages of condolences on their pages.

"Obviously, I visited with the family and they are terribly distraught," said John Sargent, deacon at St. Joseph Church where the victim's mother Cindy Kopecky and stepfather Al Kopecky are active parishioners.

"The family of Kari Dunn would like to respectfully request their space and time to grieve for the loss of their precious daughter, sister and mother," said Sargent. "We are thankful for the show of love and support to her family at this time."

Melanie Hughes, office administrator at St. Joseph, said Kari was an attendee at St. Joseph before she moved to Tyler after getting married. She had recently moved back to Marshall.

"Funeral arrangements are pending," said Sargent.

An additional bond of $100,000 was also set for Dunn for an evading arrest charge out of Cass County where he was captured and arrested.

Cass County Sheriff Larry Rowe said the bond was set by Pct. 1 Justice of Peace Judge Barbara McMillan.

Rowe said Dunn, who fled from Marshall police with the couple's 4-year-old child, was booked into the Cass County Jail at 3:08 p.m., following an issuance of an Amber Alert, a procedure that notifies the public of the disappearance of a child.

"A citizen on (Highway) 59 noticed the vehicle," said Rowe, noting the Amber Alert was released at 1:16 p.m., identifying the child that was taken as well as the identity of the suspect. "They had the Amber alert on the cell phone and noticed him."

The sheriff said the young child was unharmed, and is now with her family.

According to Marshall Police Department Detective Sonya Johnson the incident began with a late Sunday morning call to police regarding a dispute at a Marshall hotel. When officers arrived at the Baymont Inn on East End Boulevard South, they found the victim, Ms. Dunn, unresponsive. She was later pronounced dead by Pct. 1 Justice of the Peace Judge Meagan Pinson.

Gregg County Jail records show that her husband has been arrested multiple times, including four times for assault and family violence.



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia