Sunday, December 17, 2017

Advertise with us

Accounts set up for Marshall armed robbery shooting victim

By Robin Y. Richardson
April 14, 2017 at 4 a.m.
Updated April 17, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.

Gregg Gorin, computer repair specialist and owner of Enter the Box computer repair store, works a little on Wednesday a little more than a week after engaging in a shoot-out while trying to stop an armed robbery in progress at Boost Mobile next door.

After being severely wounded in a shoot-out with an armed robber at Marshall's Boost Mobile Store a little more than a week ago, local businessman Gregg Gorin is trying to recover, taking things one day at a time.

"I'm only working a couple of hours a day because that's about all I can stand," Gorin told the News Messenger on Wednesday as he described his pain.

Accounts have been setup to assist Gorin with medical bills associated with the April 1 attempted armed robbery that occurred at about 4 p.m. at Boost Mobile in the 700 block of E. Grand Avenue.

Gorin, one of the premier computer repair technicians in Marshall who opened the first internet company here in 1996, was reportedly shot twice by a masked armed robber when he went into Boost Mobile, next to his Enter the Box computer repair store, after hearing a female screaming. Gunfire was exchanged between Gorin and the perpetrator as Gorin intervened.

"She is only 19 years old. She's got a big life in front of her," he said Wednesday.

Praised for his actions as a hometown hero, Gorin's friends have setup a GoFundMe account as well as a bank account at East Texas Professional Credit Union in Marshall to help the 53-year-old computer repair technician with rising medical costs.

"All they have to do is go in and say they want to donate money to Gregg Gorin," Gorin said regarding the account setup at the Credit Union.

So far, the GoFundMe account had raised $3,110 of its $30,000 goal, as of Thursday evening.

Beating the odds

Gorin said he sincerely appreciates the help as he was already tackling rising medical bills from treatment from a dog bite that also nearly cost his life.

"I've been in and out of the hospital since January because the dog jumped on me and I've got an infection," Gorin said.

He said the last few years have been tough for him, having experienced several grave incidents.

One was in April 2013 when he fell off of a ladder after doing some roof work on a church.

"I broke my ankle and ripped my ligament from my ankle all the way up to my knee," Gorin recalled. "I had to pay out of my pocket for what happened."

Another near death experience came while riding in his van on Victory Drive.

"They were doing some work out on Victory Drive and there was a guy waving traffic," Gorin said. "He waved me in and I turned by the road that goes into that school. Somebody sideswiped me and flipped my van over.

"Apparently, I'm still here for a reason," said Gorin.

With a bullet still lodged in his spine from his shootout with the armed robber, it's a struggle for Gorin to get around.

"It's very painful to get in and out of my car," he said. "It's painful to lean back in a chair. It's hard to sleep, too, because there's a bullet in my back still.

"This thing is less than an inch from my spine and it hurts," Gorin said. "It's very painful and it's not good mentally for me."

Gorin said doctors could not take it out when he was first injured due to swelling, necessitating a surgery to be scheduled later to remove it.

He said donations would be helpful and appreciated to assist with medical bills as business has been slow, making it hard to make ends meet.

"I feel like I'm stranded because I don't make enough money to be able to afford $190 a month in insurance; I don't qualify for assistance," Gorin said. "The last four years have been horrible."

He's just thankful for the outpouring of help he's received thus far during his time of recovery.

"There's been a lot of well wishers that have called me that are real good people in the community and I've had some nice donations from some people who know how good of a heart that I have and how much I give to other people," Gorin said, sharing how he's sometimes helped customers in need without charging them.

Employees at Boost Mobile told the News Messenger before that their colleague was thankful for Gorin's quick actions, as he rushed to the cellphone store, saving her life. The parents of the employee also expressed their thanks, taking the time to visit Gorin personally.

"The father came to see me Saturday from the store. He was really happy that I was there," Gorin said.

"The girl's mother came and thanked me and she was crying," Gorin said. "She said she was going to pray for me every Saturday and for the rest of her life. She was just so thankful. She said I saved her baby."

When asked if any arrests have been made in the case, Kelly Colvin, public information officer for Marshall Police Department, said that the agency "doesn't have any updates regarding this case to release, at this time."



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia