Sunday, December 17, 2017

Advertise with us

Marshall Pottery worker dies; autopsy pending

By Robin Y. Richardson
April 21, 2017 at 6 a.m.

Marshall Pottery is shown in in Marshall on Thursday, April 20, 2017, three days after a supervisor there was found deceased in a piece of equipment.

An autopsy has been ordered in the death of a 42-year-old Marshall Pottery supervisor, who died while on the job Monday in what's being investigated as an "industrial accident."

"Everything is pending," said Pct. 2 Justice of the Peace Judge Clarice Watkins, who ordered the autopsy.

Funeral services for the victim, Arturo Gonzalez of Marshall, are today.

"It's a very tragic situation and our thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Gonzalez's family during their time of grief," Kelly Colvin, public information officer for Marshall Police Department, said.

Marshall Fire Chief Reggie Cooper said EMS units responded to Marshall Pottery for a man who was stuck in a piece of equipment and possibly deceased. The equipment was reportedly a kiln.

"Medical units arrived to find a male individual unresponsive and not breathing," Cooper said.

Observing that Gonzalez was deceased, officials contacted Judge Watkins, who pronounced him dead at 7:52 a.m.

"The victim was not entangled with any equipment and firefighters removed him from the building, but did not transport," Cooper said.

The scene was turned over to Marshall Police Department to investigate if needed. Colvin, MPD's PIO, said the cause of death has not been determined.

"The case is being investigated as an industrial accident," she said.

Marshall Pottery officials declined comment Thursday, regarding the incident. Occupational Safety and Health Administration officials did not return calls, as of Thursday evening, to confirm whether or not they are involved in the investigation.

Gonzalez was supervisor at Marshall Pottery where he had worked for the past 11 years. He leaves behind a wife, son and two daughters.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia