Fire destroys home of Marshall doctor
Feb. 8, 2018 at 4 a.m.
A fire, possibly caused by lightning, destroyed the home of Marshall OBGYN Charles D. Gaskin and his wife Faye on Wednesday, leaving it a total loss.
"We just want the family to know we are deeply saddened for their loss, and though personal memories and such may not be able to be replaced, I am always elated anytime there are no injuries or worse," said Marshall Fire Department Chief Reggie Cooper.
Cooper said that around 4:11 a.m., fire units were dispatched to the home in the 4600 block of Forest Trail for visible smoke in a bedroom.
"Firefighters were initially able to make an interior attack; however, due to the fire's intensity, they were unable to extinguish the blaze," he said.
Fortunately, all occupants were out of the house, and there were no injuries reported. At about 8 a.m. Wednesday, Cooper noted that the fire was under control, but it continues to be investigated.
"Though the investigation is ongoing and will be detailed, preliminary reports indicate intense lightning in the area," he said. "The fire damage resulted in a total loss."