From Staff Reports

Marshall ISD, in conjunction with Yates Memorial Cemetery of Scottsville and local veterans will host a rededication ceremony of the old World War II war memorial that has been relocated to the veterans cemetery after being removed from the old Marshall High School on West Houston Street in 2018.

The ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 14, at the monument’s new, permanent location at Yates Cemetery located just east of old Scottsville Cemetery. Student cadets in Marshall High School’s Air Force Junior ROTC program will also take part in the rededication ceremony.

The monument, which had resided in the old courtyard at the old high school/junior high school building for 66 years until it was removed in 2018 – was renovated, transported and installed at Yates Cemetery this past fall. Mr. Bob Yates, a 1949 graduate of Marshall High School and war veteran himself, approached MISD officials in the fall of 2017 following a news article which outlined the district’s desire to preserve and move the monument to a new location with the closing of the old junior high, which had served as Marshall High School from 1924-1980.

The monument has stood at its original location since it was first dedicated in 1952, seven years after the end of World War II. Mr. Yates offered his veterans memorial cemetery in Scottsville as a new location for the monument.

Marshall Monument Co. offered its services to MISD for removal and installation, and the district partnered with the local monument company due to the extreme care required in the removal and transport of the 66-year old memorial to its new home. An initial inspection of the monument determined that due to the cement used to adhere the granite to the ground initially, the plynths – which are the four connecting pieces of the large centerpiece and the wings (the four sections of the monument which contain the names of MHS World War II veterans) – would need to be replaced. The memorial was stored by Marshall Monument until the new plynths could be ordered and restored to the monument, then transported to its new, permanent home in the local veterans cemetery.

“The preservation of this memorial was understandably important to the Marshall community and Marshall ISD,” said David Weaver, MISD Director of Communications. “We made a promise to the community to do everything we could to make sure this monument to our Marshall World War II veterans and heroes was preserved and honored. The challenge was removing a nearly 70-year old, extremely heavy monument which was installed in intricate pieces, and moving it to a new location without damaging it. Thanks to Mr. Yates of Yates Cemetery and the expertise of our friends at Marshall Monument, we feel like the monument’s move to a new home is appropriate and has been accomplished in the safe, reverent manner we hoped it could be.”

District officials originally considered the possibility of moving the monument to the current Marshall High School, but ultimately did not want to have to consider another possible disturbance and move of the memorial again in the event of new construction or renovation at the high school or possibility of a new MHS sometime in the future.

“This plan preserved the monument as well as it ensured that it now has a permanent home in an appropriate, respectful place, a veterans cemetery,” Weaver said.

The engraving on the monument carries the names of “Marshall High School patriots, living and dead, who defended the heritage of our Nation and our School in World War II.” From the 1953 “Maverick” yearbook, regarding the dedication of the monument in 1952:

“On such occasion as this there is a mingling of pride and pathos. We are proud that Americans still can produce men and women with the courage to fight for those things we value most, but we grieve that all too often these courageous ones are challenged by war to make the supreme sacrifice. Today, with deep appreciation and humility, we dedicate this Memorial Court to those Marshall High School patriots, living and dead, who defended the heritage of our Nation and our School in World War II.” – Mrs. Inez Hughes, 1941-1945

Lt. A.G. Edens

Lt. Pat Fyffe

Lt. Billy Graves

Sgt. Artie Hanson

Pvt. Robert Grady Hines

Lt. Vaughan Irvine

Sa. Billy Ivey

Lt. Eugene Key

Lt. Joe Lake

Pfc. Elmer Lawlis

Maj. Clarence McClaren

T/5 Blake McDaniel

Pfc. James McGeorge

MM 2/c Howard L. Moore

S/Sgt. Melton Murrell

S/Sgt. Jack Palmer

S/Sgt. John Pepper

S/Sgt. Frazier Smith

MM 1/c George Tier

Pfc. Perry Vawter

Capt. John Wainwright

Sgt. Carrol Walker

Pfc. Fred Warren

Lt. Sam Warren

Lt. Raymond Watson

F.O. Billy Wilmore

Lt. Robt. Woolley

Lt. Jack Wyatt

T/5 George Yates

Capt. Cary Abney

Lt. Thomas Austin

F.O. Norman Barnes

Col. Edwin Barry

Lt. Alfred Bell

Lt. Billy Bowers

T/5 Wesley Bryant

Lt. Chas. (Billy) Carpenter

Lt. Comdr. Byron Cooke

Pfc. Mickey Crawford

Sgt. Roy Downer